Working as an electrician is hard, tough work…always has been. However, what electricians do is starting to change a little. Electrical contractors used to install only electric service in homes, businesses and factories – however, now many electricians also install and maintain video, data or voice wiring.
To obtain a license, electricians typically go through an apprenticeship and classroom instruction. Usually, apprenticeships last four to five years, and include about 144 hours of classroom instruction along with full-time hours of on-the-job training. Licensing is usually pretty stringent, with testing that covers electrical theory, the National Electrical Code and local and state building and electrical codes. On a typical day, an electrical repairs will be:
· Connecting wiring to switches, transformers, circuit breakers or electrical panels
· Repairing or replacing wiring and fixtures
· Running wire through walls with a “fish”
· Assembling and installing electrical wiring, equipment, fixtures or appliances
· Testing electrical systems and continuity, using ohmmeters, voltmeters, oscilloscopes and other test equipment
· Planning installation and design of electrical wiring for specific jobs
· Inspecting electrical systems to identify hazards or defects and ensuring compliance with code
If you’re thinking about having some electrical work done, it’s best to hire a licensed electrician to take it on. Homeowners can generally do okay with simple jobs like installing a ceiling fan, wiring a range hood or replacing a light switch or electrical outlet box. Anything more involved, though, can get pretty tricky and more than a little dangerous. If you need to hire an electrician, keep the usual in mind:
· Get references and follow up on them.
· Check with the BBB.
· Get it in writing.
· Get free estimates.
· Work with someone who can communicate clearly with you about costs and timeframe and make sure there’s a good understanding on both sides before any work starts.
Finding local electrical contractors with The Service Vault will save you time and a lot of hassle. We take the pain out of looking on your own. So signup today and get those electrical problems fixed!
In the new green economy, energy costs are rising and saving energy is no longer a feel good story. Installing roofing solar panels can help ...